Monday, December 11, 2006

I ruin everything.

This is Hakim Bey speaking about the book I just quoted below, and i have just made it into a handwritten tri-fold brochure to put on people's windshields below their wipers. I think Hakim (yes, it's his pen name) would spit in my bed if he knew I was doing this...
Hakim Bey: Well, I think there are a lot of people who are desperately seeking someone to tell them what to do, always a human factor, and somehow one way or another even though the pseudonym was meant to keep an ego trip or star factor out of this, it backfired. It worked the opposite of the way I thought it was going to work. The anti-copyright worked the opposite way I thought it would work too. I thought we would publish one edition of the book and after that people who were interested in it would go out and copy it themselves. But instead it makes people buy the book, like they're getting something from the book. Like they can copy parts of it out then and put parts of it in their zines or send it in letters to their friends. The book has sold a great deal more than I ever expected and the reason I don't make public appearances is because I don't like this whole star aspect of writing books on this kind of extropean, anarchist, cyberpunk, or all these kind of strains I'm pulling together. I don't want to be a star in any of these circles. That wasn't my intention at all. My intention was very much an anarchist one. Looking for ways to revivify anarchist theory, some contacts with Oriental spirituality on one hand and, on the other, European philosophy that had been so ignored in the Anglo-Saxon English speaking world. The point of the thing was to do it yourself, and not to fetishize the book or the author of the book. And not to make the book in any respect a substitute for one's own autonomy. The book was an experiment in my own autonomy, an exploration of my autonomy and my thoughts on autonomy and I hoped it would inspire people to do likewise, not become fans of the book. So after a few, to me, very unsatisfactory public appearances I finally decided, "This needs to be nipped in the bud". This is not what it's about. This tape may be the cause of more of these problems, but as I said it was Bill's idea, not my idea. I enjoyed working with Bill. He's really, really, good at this. It's an extremely tasteful job. I hope, so tasteful that people will find it boring. That this will give a bit of distance, what Brecht called alienation, which is so necessary to not get sucked into these authorial worlds. The author as authority is a deadly trap, at least in this endeavor. Actually the best response the book got was to be burnt in an art event in New York. I thought that was an appropriate response.

No comments:

About Me