Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Wildcat Academy


This is where I teach.
I teach fashion though I have very little interest in the topic. However, I felt that I struck gold when I realized that fashion might be the way into the hearts of self conscious/identity obsessed teenagers with no experience expressing themselves. There really is no hierarchy in creativity. If I can get some people to play with materials and to wonder about how things work, I have achieved the same success I would have in a sculpture class. So I have been buying fashion magazines and seeing the very obvious relationships between art and fashion. Both industries are pretty disgusting but the theory, craft and history of both are equally dense. Often, the most productive part of the classes for me are the photo opportunities. I think I will begin to post the goings on. The big and impermeable exterior of the students upon first encounter is contrary to the fragility and openness that comes out as they experiment with new techniques and materials. I really enjoy capturing that vulnerability-- when they actually act their age. Some of them have kids. Many of them are as old as me and all of them are larger in scale. Sometimes its hard to get their attention or to deplete their barriers. I have found that it is less about words or lesson plans and more about persistence. When I enter a class, I know what I am going to do and even if no one else wants to do it at first, my discipline and the radiation of my own appreciation of the experience and the ability to create something beautiful usually (not always) can quietly transform the classroom into a creative space. And then somedays I have to get on the table and throw a tantrum because, afterall, I am not much different than them in many ways.

Today I proposed a new program idea for Wildcat. I am tired of how things work (or don't work) there. I want to create a place for myself if I have to be there. As pictured above, there are huge windows in the hallways and cafeteria of the school space (3 floors of an old mint). What I plan to do is to choose one artist for each group of windows. Of my friends and acquaintances, (a possible list: Ernest Concepcion, Chitra Ganesh, Jennifer Sullivan, Aaron Zimmerman, Nick Herro, Richard Zimmerman, Carey Maxon) I plan to ask those that are doing thoughtful 2-d work (with strong ideas that will translate to teenagers) to design a one day workshop with a group of students where the students can try out a process the artist has developed for their work. In addition, the artists will contribute a large-scale drawing on the group of windows with temporary window paint/markers that investigates and acknowledges the landscape and simultaneously shows the artist's version of what they are seeing.
I called Johnny, the Dean of the School, to propose this to him today and he is going to check with the landlord of the bldg to see if it would be acceptable. What would be really exciting is if I could propose this to Sports and Arts in Schools Foundation. Perhaps the artists could be compensated for the classtime and materials could be payed for. Also, a reception or publication would be really good.

2 comments:

Jennifer Sullivan said...

Cassie - i am totally down to do a workshop with your peoples. It sounds awesome and very exciting, i will try to mull it over as to some specs and ideas...
ps - i am obsessed with blogs
xo

Carey Maxon said...

I like this idea. Lately, I've had a particular penchant for contexts that I did not create for myself in which I can work.

About Me