Friday, December 8, 2006

Mercury in Retrograde

I wonder if the mercury is in Retrograde or whatever. When that happens it seems like communication falls apart and everything is always cancelled or being rescheduled. When I woke up I was supposed to go to Harlem to meet JoAnn Berman, a fashion designer who has run around the NY hip hop scene since the 80's. She had to cancel to go on an emergency honeymoon, which is absolutely understandable. I was bummed I couldnt show her my saranwrap hat.
Then, school was cancelled. So I did yoga for a long time. Focusing on the body for a while when everything else seems unstable is very helpful to me.
I also started to try to find a teacher to start an alternative graffiti class at a middle school in Canarsie. I interviewed a great guy on Thursday morning who got the cake right away because he is amazing. And he didn't mind my super silly art ideas like LED throwies or Christian Marclay's wheat pasting up of blank music sheets all over some dang city. And it seems he attended the school he will be teaching at. He also had really bright bright bluish greenish eyes. He is good.
At night on Tuesday I went to 3rd ward, where j (jason, jeremy?) gave DJ Donut and I a tour all over the space. It seems that if I make something for the space to be installed semi permanently, I can use the art castle to play and make stuff for a few months. Wow! Very intimidating to be in such a large space with so much potential. I really like it there. It will be a great winter clubhouse. The only problem I have is that I make small and delicate work usually. This is an artist's art space and it needs to function for the artists as far as i am concerned. I would like to build some sort of labyrinthine library system but havent figured out anything else about it yet. I might wait until I go to Materials for the Arts on Monday to see what I see.
Also this week, I visited Carey Maxon's studio in Long Island City. It was a cold bikeride there. She has a studio in a building right off of Jackson Ave. The lofts are very nice with big windows and complete with a coffee shop in the basement. Carey is prolific and thoughtful. She interviewed me once. Project1981 will have a show in her studio in February. I don't know what I will make for it. What I can tell you is that there are some frickinnice views from her windows.

No comments:

About Me